For any food manufacturer looking to grow their business, implementing the SQF Program for food safety and quality will accelerate that process as it is a scheme which falls under the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) umbrella. It is considered to be the gold standard in food safety and all reputable grocery store chains require this certification, often times prior to accepting a food manufacturer as a preferred supplier. This benchmarked program, when implemented correctly, assures customers and consumers that the food products they are purchasing are safe for consumption.
There are three levels to SQF Certification:
- Level 1: This is a GMP based level which does not include the requirements of implementing a HACCP Program. Businesses in their infancy stages are encouraged to utilize this level.
- Level 2: This level focusses solely on the food safety aspects of a certification system. You are required to have a working HACCP Plan and all associated pre-requisite programs. Most companies choose to start at Level 2.
- Level 3: This incorporates quality into your management system. It ensures that at each step in the process, you are identifying and controlling food quality hazards that may be present with your particular product.
At Safe Food Resources, we approach SQF Certification as a way of doing business. We understand that this system can be very overwhelming for companies looking to get certified.
This is why we take the step approach, we don’t want you to work the system, we want the system to work for you. We aren’t going to push you to develop and implement programs that won’t work for you and become just a binder sitting on a shelf in the back office only getting pulled out when its audit day. We create living, breathing systems.
Continuous improvement is at the heart of everything we do at Safe Food Resources and we use that mentality to serve our clients. That said, after we assess your unique situation, we will provide a solution that meets you where you are right now. We are not going to come into your facility and reinvent the wheel. We understand that you can have success in the certification audit without having the absolute top tier programs yet in place, we write your SQF system with a foundation that allows for growth in the system, year after year.
Some benefits of taking this approach include:
- The identification of your Company’s Mission
- Organizational Structure with clearly established goals and objectives for the
- Management team within the confines of the SQF system
- Systems to manage change, keeping you nimble
- Processes to recognize areas that need improvement and methods to implement
- improvement initiatives
- Establishment of a food safety culture through employee training
- Achieving SQF Certification will result in:
- Increase in customer base through earned trust
- Decreased customer based audits
- Processes to manage risk to avoid product recalls, market withdrawals, etc.
- Compliance to the requirements of the Food Safety Modernization Act